Portage Service Area Information
Portage, Michigan is a community designated as Tree City USA by the Arbor Day Foundation, for 22 years in a row. In addition to its progressive tree planting, Portage has miles of bike routes and trails as well as many well-maintained parks for outdoor fun. Portage is located in Kalamazoo County which has many lakes for swimming, boating and fishing. The city of Portage is 130 miles west of Detroit and 147 miles northeast of Chicago.
Portage Northern and Portage Central High Schools are located here, along with Pfizer, a pharmaceutical company, Stryker Corporation and FEMA Corporation. The Kalamazoo Air Zoo, Airway Lanes, Crossroads Mall and Sky Zone are fun places to visit in Portage.
Portage Area Water Problems
- Chlorine (city water)
- Hard water (city and well water)
- Rotten egg smell(well water)
- Rust staining (well water)
Factors affecting water quality
- Agricultural pesticides and herbicides
- If a water tower is present
- New home construction
- Changing water table
- Proximity to rivers, lakes or wetlands
- Bottled water service
- Water softeners
- Rust and Odor filters
- Reverse Osmosis systems
- Coffee service
Portage Area Water Solution Examples
- We provided a Portage City water customer a Non-Electric Kinetico combination water softener/chlorine reduction system and reverse osmosis drinking water system.
- A Portage Area well water customer enjoys their Non-Electric Kinetico water softener and reverse osmosis drinking water system plus Hellenbrand rust and odor filter.
- Hardness buildup and white staining on fixtures
- Rust stains on fixtures
- Rotten egg smell, especially early in the day and in the shower
- Shorter water using appliance life
- Excess use of cleaning chemicals
Effects on Body/Skin
- Dry itchy skin
- Dry, heavy, tangly hair
- Excess use of shampoo and soap